- Using the Planet CLI
- Step 1: Searching for imagery
- Step 2: Downloading imagery
- Best Practices
- Paginate Through a Large Search
- Parallelizing Requests
- Working with Rate Limits
These tutorials assume that you have a Planet API key. Currently anyone can sign up for a free account at planet.com/explorer. The free account will give you access to full resolution imagery for California only under a CC BY-SA 4.0 license.
Once you're signed-up, you can find your API key at planet.com/account/. It's convenient to export your API key as an environment variable:
export PL_API_KEY=a3a64774d30c4749826b6be445489d3b # (not a real key)
These tutorials use the following tools:
- Python 2.7
pip install requests
pip install retrying
- jq - a useful command line tool for manipulating and displaying JSON.
- (optional) geojsonio-cli - quickly view geometries in geojson.io
Examples often pipe JSON API output to jq and filter for a specific field. You may want to also remove the jq filter to familiarize yourself with the complete API objects.