The Planet APIs allow for programmatic access to Planet imagery data, services, and operations. This technical documentation describes the core functionality of each API and workflows for accomplishing common tasks.
- Data API: The Data API is a REST HTTP API interface to Planet’s imagery archive. The API supports the following tasks: quick-searching assets and viewing thumbnails of imagery; filtering imagery by location, date, satellite source, cloud cover, and many other attributes; and downloading imagery and metadata in several formats. The Data API endpoint is at https://api.planet.com/data/v1/.
- Tile and Basemap Services: Planet Tile and Basemap Services allow users to easily add Planet imagery mosaics to desktop applications and web mapping platforms that provide WMTS and/or XYZ support, without having to download and maintain GeoTiff files.
- Clips API: The Clips API is a REST HTTP API interface to Planet's "Clip and Ship" service. Users can clip imagery to an area of interest, poll the Clips API for the status of a clipping operation, and download a zipped file of imagery and metadata. The service can be accessed at https://api.planet.com/compute/ops/clips/v1/.
- API Mechanics: All Planet APIs implement a shared set of basic API mechanics, such as authentication and error handling. Those mechanics are documented here.
- Changelog: Changes and updates to Planet APIs and services.