We are thrilled to celebrate a significant milestone: the one-year anniversary of Planet University and Planet Community. Over the past year, these platforms have blossomed into vibrant hubs for knowledge sharing, collaboration, and innovation within the Earth observation community. We couldn’t be more proud of the achievements and growth we’ve witnessed. Let’s take a moment to reflect on the journey, and look ahead to what comes next for these platforms.
A Year of Knowledge Exchange on Planet University
Planet University, our platform to find learning resources for all things Planet, has become an invaluable resource for researchers, customers, and educators seeking to harness the power of satellite imagery and geospatial data. University has thousands of users, from 99 countries. With on-demand tutorials, guides, and case studies, Planet University is empowering the satellite data community to explore new frontiers in their fields.
Unleashing the Power of the Planet Community
Planet Community, our user-driven platform, has grown into a lively space, full of passionate individuals eager to share ideas, solve problems, and propel the field of satellite data forward. The forum is fostering connections between experts, beginners, and everyone in between. The community has over a thousand members, with 58 countries represented. We have seen insightful discussions and new collaborations. We’ve witnessed firsthand the magic that happens when like-minded individuals come together with some critical milestones.
- Innovative courses were created for Planet University, including an exercise highlighting Planet’s ability to detect daily change in blooming trees and a series of exercises made in collaboration with Ed Oughton from George Mason University, demonstrating how to begin using Planet Data using Python.
- Homepages were built to consolidate learning resources for programs: Education and Research and NICFI.
- Ongoing live trainings and webinars were hosted for a variety of topics, including how to get started using Planet data in Planet Explorer, ArcGIS, and QGIS.
- A robust ideas section was launched in Planet Community to link users to the product roadmap.
- Inspiring user-to-user connection grew in Community, such as a user researching mangroves in Trinidad connecting with a local Trinidadian to ground-truth their findings.
As we commemorate this remarkable first year, we also eagerly look toward the future. We are committed to enhancing both platforms, and ensuring they remain dynamic and user-friendly. We have exciting plans in the pipeline, including creating courses on Planet’s new products, fostering greater collaboration opportunities with our partners, and adding features to improve accessibility.
Join the Journey
Whether you’re a seasoned expert or just starting out, we invite you to join us on this journey! Visit Planet University to learn about new ways to use these incredible datasets, and let us know what you’d like to see next. Share your ideas, ask questions, and explore new horizons at Planet Community. Your voice and expertise are vital to our collective success.
We extend our deepest gratitude to all who have used these platforms in the first year. Here’s to many more years of innovation, collaboration, and discovery ahead.