Give your Creativity Some Space With The 2021 Art on Satellites Program
Planet is looking for creative submissions for its space-based exhibit as part of our Art at Planet program. Each year, Planet curates the largest art exhibit in space, selected from dozens of submissions of artwork by famous artists and members of the public alike. Planet laser-etches the selected works onto the side panels of our Dove satellites, which are then launched into orbit.
This year, we’re reserving up to 50 satellite panels for artwork from artists around the world. The theme of these panels will be “Caring for a Changing Planet,” and we are looking especially for artwork that highlights the issues of climate action, sustainability, the UN Sustainable Development Goals, and the preservation of nature and biodiversity – as well as the people who champion these ideas.
Here’s how you can participate:
- First, download our art submission guideline – this will contain a template of the panels. Note that the panels are quite small, because our satellites are quite small, and only about 25% of the image can be “filled in” — so design carefully!
- Next, add your own unique art. Celebrate caring for the planet in your own voice and your own style. Submissions can be serious, urgent, playful, beautiful, poetic, funny, or weird – or all of those things! We’re looking for a mix of contributors, themes, styles, sensibilities and geographic regions.
- Finally, submit your completed artwork, accompanying description(s) and contact information via this form by May 1, 2021. You may submit up to three submissions per individual person or organization. If you’re under 13, be sure to have the permission of a parent or guardian. Read the full terms and conditions here.
Planet recognizes that we are stewards of the Earth for future generations. In honor of Earth Day on April 22, 2021, Planet would like to see children get creative and submit their own works of art about Caring for a Changing Planet! As a bit of inspiration, we hope you all will visit our gallery to explore the many wonders that our satellites capture each day.
Here’s how children can participate:
- Print the template
- Create your masterpiece! A line drawing (ink pen) or stylized quote work best. The final etching will be in black & white, but it is possible to achieve some tonal effects. This can be a combination of drawings and/or quotes – whatever signifies how important our earth is to you!
- Ask an adult to submit your artwork to Planet here.
- Use EARTHDAY21 as the project code
Planet will review and notify the participants whose work is selected in mid-2021. Unfortunately, we cannot respond to everyone who submits artwork. Participants whose work is selected for inclusion will receive images of their artwork on our spacecraft, satellite launch information so you can watch your art on its ride to space, and any other goodies we may think of.
This is a great chance to leave your own mark in space – we look forward to seeing what you create!